Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How to Get a Footer to Behave Like You Expect

When developing web applications I must confess that dealing with CSS issues is amongst my least favourite things.  I understand the basics of CSS, of course, but take no pleasure in learning every last detail.  And don't even get me started about the differences in behaviour between browsers!!!


With the web app I've been working on for the past few years I had a partial solution for a footer on pages of varying heights.  It "kind of" worked the way I wanted it to but not entirely.  After trying a few different approaches to get it working, with no success, I just added it to my "To Do" list and left it be.  But recent testing by others on different sized screens revealed it to be much more of a problem than I had originally thought.

So I did a new search and came across a website devoted entirely to this very problem: CSS Sticky Footer

The solution they present is straight forward, easy to implement, and works great ... at least in the IE8 environment that my client will be using.  Definitely check it out if you're experiencing problems with footer placement and/or behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment