Monday, August 2, 2010

Is VS2008 Hanging After Debugging an ASP.net Project?

I start & stop Visual Studio 2008 hundreds of times per day as part of the normal debugging cycle.  In my case, it's running my ASP.net project in Internet Explorer 8.  For some time now, there's been a delay of upwards of 10 seconds when stopping the project, before I could gain control of VS2008 again.

This finally got so annoying that I did some research and found this.  I tried every single idea presented in that thread but nothing worked.  Finally I got to the last item - May 7, 2010 - which suggested the culprit to the be the solution's "SUO" file.  Rather than delete it outright, I instead moved it to another folder.  Incidentally, in my case the file was over 11MB in size.  I restarted VS2008 and voilà ... the delay disappeared!

I don't know all that the SUO file contains but I've suffered no adverse effects from deleting it.  In fact, Visual Studio has already started rebuilding it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! thank you!

    I have been trying to figure out the problem with my debugger for weeks.. My .suo file was 20+ megs. Renaming it resolve my issue...

    ReplyDelete